Talk to a business counselor
Business counselors help you gain perspective on your career and your business skills. Often former entrepreneurs or business execs, they bring experience and on-the-ground expertise to help you:
- identify people who may buy your art or your services
- review and refine your career goals and strategies to achieve them
- hone your promotional efforts
- navigate financial records and planning
Start with these organizations when you’re ready to schedule some face time with a business counselor: Small Business Development Centers
help business owners address businesses challenges, from strategic planning to self- and art promotion.
- Kansas SBDC at Johnson County Community College frequently works one-on-one with freelancers and sole proprietors (businesses without employees).
- UMKC SBTDC offers one-on-one counseling, access to expertise and educational programs covering a wide-range of issues facing small business owners
: Retired business people volunteer their time and insight to budding entrepreneurs.