Pay taxes

Keep track of what you earn and what you spend on your art.

Write it all down. (The IRS prefers handwritten records to electronic spreadsheets.) You’ll need that record of income to secure a loan for your business (or a car or a house). And you’ll need the itemized expenses to make deductions on your Schedule C.

Kansas City Volunteer Lawyers & Accountants for the Arts

KCVLAA is a nonprofit, 501(c)(3) organization that provides legal and accounting assistance to qualifying artists and arts organizations from all creative disciplines.

Internal Revenue Service

The IRS hosts a helpful and well-organized site that provides free publications and downloadable forms. Check out :

Other sites with help information: